Biology consistently ranks as the most popular major at UNC Greensboro, and it’s easy to see why. A hallmark of this degree program is the opportunity to participate in stimulating undergraduate field and laboratory research with award-winning faculty.
Enabled by this extensive hands-on experience, many students go on to attend top medical schools, enter competitive graduate programs, and increase society’s knowledge of life in all its fascinating forms.
- Students have the opportunity to work with internationally recognized faculty as they conduct research on topics ranging from cell motility, cancer, obesity, and the flu, to ecological understandings of urbanization, disease ecology, and the fate of nutrients in streams.
- Biology faculty consistently receive university-wide teaching and mentorship awards.
- State-of-the-art equipment and facilities include a new Plant and Pollinator Center, Campus Wetlands, high-powered molecular biology equipment, two large greenhouse facilities, the Confocal Microscopy Facility, and more.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- You are empowered to engage in undergraduate research projects – in the field and the lab – with award-winning, research-driven faculty.
- A variety of upper-level course content is offered, including virology, neurobiology, evolution, the environment, microbiology, and cancer.
- Collaboration with other departments – such as nutrition, chemistry and biochemistry, mathematics, physics, and geography – expands educational opportunities across disciplines.
- You can pursue concentrations in human biology, biotechnology, and environmental biology.
- Enabled by extensive hands-on research, many students go on to attend top medical schools, enter competitive graduate programs, and make substantive change in the private and public sectors.
- Employers include Syngenta, LabCorp, state of North Carolina, and cities of Greensboro, Charlotte, and Burlington.
- Graduates have extended their study at Duke University, Wake Forest University, North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, and other University of North Carolina system schools.
- Potential career paths include:
- Research Scientist
- Nature Conservation Officer
- Medical School Student
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!