Do you want to gain a deep understanding of the natural world, living systems, and modern materials?
The bachelor of science (B.S.) in chemistry differs from the bachelor of arts (B.A.) by requiring additional advanced courses in chemistry and/or related sciences. The B.S. degree provides very thorough undergraduate training in chemistry, especially for students planning to undertake graduate work or to enter the chemical industry.
Students who complete this program will be certified to the American Chemical Society upon graduation as having fulfilled the Society’s requirements for undergraduate professional training.
- With a strong emphasis on teaching, active faculty include two UNCG Alumni Teaching Excellence Award winners, four College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence award winners, and one UNC Board of Governors Teaching Excellence Award winner.
- Faculty research is funded by National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, the N.C. Biotechnology Center, and the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund.
- The program is accredited by the American Chemical Society.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- A hallmark of this degree program is the opportunity to participate in stimulating undergraduate field and laboratory research with award-winning faculty.
- Research internships, a chemistry/biochemistry internship course, and work as lab assistants and research assistants are available to students in the program.
- Student clubs and organizations include Skeptical Chemists Club (American Chemical Society Student Affiliates), which organizes lectures and seminars for students and arranges social outings, and the Environmental Awareness Foundation, which promotes responsible scientific practices to maintain a healthy ecosystem.
- Students pursue careers in biochemical sciences, medicine, biotechnology, and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Recent graduates have secured positions as:
- Certifying Scientist, Ameritox, Greensboro, N.C.
- Laboratory Manager, Mass Spectrometry Facility, UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Staff Scientist in analytical sciences/metabolomics at the David H. Murdock Research Institute in Kannapolis, N.C.
- Analytical/R&D lab manager for Qvape Juice, Raleigh, N.C.
- Quality and Regulatory Safety Associate with New Chapter Inc., a subsidiary of Procter & Gamble, Brattleboro, VT.
- Analytical Scientist, Nutramax Labs
- Lab Technician, Pfizer
- Assistant Editor, Discovery magazine
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!