The Master of Arts in English prepares students to teach in community college and secondary schools, to continue their studies in PhD programs, or to work in humanities-supported fields ranging from business, to law, to arts administration.
Students choose from three flexible plans of study – Thesis, Teaching Composition, and Careers in the Humanities – to develop their particular interests and professional goals.
- Member of the Association of Departments of English, the South Atlantic Association of Departments of English, and the Associated Writing Programs.
- UNCG is ranked 45th out of more than 200 research-intensive English departments in overall faculty scholarly productivity in 2014 by Academic Analytics.
- Professors regularly win university-wide teaching and mentorship awards for their commitment to student success.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Our graduate programs offer paths in which students will complete internships and gain valuable real life experience while pursuing their degree. Internships are designed as work with or under a mentor.
- Graduate students consistently remark on the strong sense of community among the graduate English program.
- Students can focus their studies on one of three areas:
- Thesis Plan: Especially suitable for those planning to pursue a PhD in English.
- Teaching Composition Plan: Especially suitable for those who wish to teach writing and English studies at community colleges.
- Careers in the Humanities Plan: Serves a wide range of career goals.
- The MA in English is designed for those planning to pursue a doctorate; to teach in community colleges, technical institutes, or some undergraduate colleges; and to work in non-academic settings.
- Career examples include: College/University Professor, Digital Copywriter, Editor/Editorial Assistant, Journalist, Secondary School Teacher, Nonprofit Leadership, Museum and Cultural Center Work
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!