The PhD program prepares students to teach and conduct research in American history and to understand it within a global perspective. Students integrate their major field of study, American history, with world history.
This broader intercontinental perspective – including the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa – enables students to explore themes such as the interaction of political, economic, and cultural systems, questions of race and ethnicity, gender, and the transnational dimensions of national experience.
- UNCG’s PhD program in history ranks among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report (2022).
- Students work directly with faculty mentors who are world-renowned scholars in their fields.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- In a setting of small classes, individualized research projects, and faculty mentoring, students are trained in the craft of scholarly research and writing.
- All students will take a teaching seminar, and receive hands-on teaching experience that will prepare them for teaching in a college or university environment.
- Most of our PhD graduates go on to teach at the university level.
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!