With on campus and online options, Hospitality and Tourism Management prepares students for a variety of management positions in the hotel, restaurant, meeting, travel, tourism, attractions, craft beverage, esports, and experience management fields. Students will complete required courses to gain a broad foundation in hospitality and tourism management as well as select elective courses to specialize in a segment of the industry. Elective courses include hotel and lodging operations management, destination management, sustainable food and beverage, revenue management, event planning, wine appreciation, and attraction management.
Accreditations and affiliations include:
- Travel and Tourism Research Association
- Guilford County Hotel Association
- Piedmont Triad Destination Marketing Organization
- Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Club
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro Chapter – ETA SIGMA DELTA International Hospitality Management Society (Honor Society)
- North Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association – Member
- American Hotel & Lodging Association – Member
- North Carolina Travel Industry Association – Member
The Student Experience
- You will have the opportunity to study a wide variety of topics that help prepare you for employment in multiple areas of the hospitality and tourism industry, including hotel and lodging management, restaurant management, destination management, food and beverage management, revenue management, event planning, and wine and craft beverage administration.
- There are many networking opportunities with employers through guest speakers and student organizations (e.g., the Hospitality and Tourism Student Group). The Hospitality and Tourism Management program has partnerships with many local and global organizations including Proximity Hotel, O. Henry Hotel, Marriott Hotels, GIA restaurant, Guilford County Hotel Association, and the Piedmont Triad Destination Marketing Organization. Multiple alumni own local businesses or have key management roles in many local businesses.
- While studying in the Hospitality and Tourism Management Program, you may earn certifications in the areas of food service safety, hotel industry analytics, and responsible alcohol service:
- AHLEI Management of Food and Beverage Operations
- AHLEI Hospitality Facilities Management and Design
- AHLEI Revenue Management
- Nearly 100 percent of our graduates are employed within six months, with 89 percent of them obtaining employment within three months of graduation.
- Graduates have obtained employment at companies such as Marriott International, the Walt Disney Co., Darden Restaurants, Quaintance-Weaver Restaurants & Hotels, VisitNC, and the Greensboro Convention & Visitors Bureau. Potential career paths include hotel management, hotel sales, luxury resort management, casino operations, cruise ship and theme park management, tour guide, tourism destination management, concert promoter, festival coordinator, wedding planner, food and beverage manager, private club manager, restaurant or bakery owner, sommelier, winery tasting room manager, and wine and craft beverage manager.
Want more information? Let’s get started!