The highly ranked undergraduate kinesiology major fully prepares students for careers in preventive and rehabilitative exercise and fitness. It serves as a pre-professional program of study with a focus on exercise and sport science that also encompasses other fields of science (biology, chemistry, physics, health, nutrition, and pharmacology). After completing this program, you will have the necessary academic and clinical experience to pursue further studies in allied health fields.
- The Department of Kinesiology is the 4th largest department on campus, serving approximately 700 undergraduate students.
- Faculty have ongoing community programs, outreach, and research and often call on student-volunteers to help their operation.
- Universities.com ranks UNCG as the top undergraduate Kinesiology program in North Carolina (2022).
- The program is a member of the American Kinesiology Association.
- A unique Kinesiology & Physical Education Teacher double major is available.
The Student Experience
- You gain valuable experience with assistantships that promote helping older people exercise, physical fitness in children, fibromyalgia research and activities, and physical education community outreach.
- You will complete an experiential learning project early in your plan of study.
- The KIN Club is a student-led organization promoting healthful living through service and leadership.
- Graduates enter careers in sport coaching; strength and conditioning; exercise instruction; athletic training; physical therapy; occupational therapy; physician’s assistant; cardiac rehabilitation; podiatry; dentistry; mental skills training; sports medicine; physical education and teacher education; and various health professions.
- Potential career paths include:
- Athletic Trainer
- Athletic Director
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Specialist
- Director of Community Youth Sport Programs
- Exercise Physiologist
- Physical Education or Health Teacher
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Sport Coach
- Alumni employers include the YMCA, Moses Cone, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Guilford County Schools, City of Greensboro, World’s Gym, Gold’s Gym, and United Healthcare.
- Graduates pursuing careers in kinesiology may need further education or licensure. Graduates continue their education at graduate schools, including UNCG, East Carolina University, Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, Elon University, and Winston-Salem State University.
Apply to Program
Want more information? Let’s get started!