The Doctor of Education in Kinesiology Online (Ed.D. in KIN) at UNC Greensboro is a cohort-based four-year program designed for practicing professionals who have a minimum of three years of experience in kinesiology or related fields. Ed.D. students are focused on professional scholarship and practice in leadership, advocacy, and teaching. Our students address current issues in the field from an applied, interdisciplinary perspective with the goal of becoming action-oriented leaders in kinesiology. Our students, faculty, graduates and others form a community of scholars who positively impact their local communities.
For over a century, the Department of Kinesiology has been a cornerstone department of the University. Beginning as the Department of Physiology and Physical Culture in the Women’s College in 1892, the department took the progressive view that women should be physically active to improve their health and wellness. As the department evolved and grew with the university, our name changed, but our mission to promote education in and instruction of physical health remains at our core.
- The online Doctor of Education in Kinesiology at UNCG was the first online Doctor of Education in Kinesiology and is one of only two in the country.
- The doctoral programs in Kinesiology at UNCG are ranked #21 by the National Academy of Kinesiology.
- An Ed.D. student was recently featured in SHAPE America’s Momentum issue for his work in equity, diversity, and inclusion in physical education.
The Student Experience
- Ed.D. Students Making an Impact
- Interview with Program Director Dr. Pam Brown
- Ed.D. in Kinesiology: A Flexible Online Program for Busy Professionals
- Dr. Andi Bender on how the Kinesiology Ed.D. Program Helped Her Become the Director of Clinical Education
“Because I’m in an online program and I see people delivering material so well, it really challenged me to reconsider and reconceptualize the way that I educate students. And I know my students, many of them have said, ‘I really prefer lecture in an online way because I can interact with the information when my brain is fresh.’”
“A Ph.D. really offers us the ability to look in depth at one focal question without necessarily looking at how outside factors impact a problem. But the Ed.D. program allows us to look at things in a bigger, more holistic way, and that’s really what my interest is,” she explains. “I think this program just really supports people that want to look at research questions that are broader, and that’s really what I wanted to do.”
– Dr. LaVerene Garner, 2023 graduate
“Every course in the Ed.D. program contributed something that I use in my current position. The emphasis on pushing the academy to reward teaching and service, to make learning experiences applicable in our own lives, and to think forward have been especially helpful.”
– Erica Bonadio, 2019 graduate, Department Chair of Exercise Science at Salem College
“The Ed.D. in Kinesiology Online Doctoral program is built on a foundation of trust through relationship building, teamwork, discipline, and professionalism. The time spent struggling and succeeding with my fellow students provided real-life teaching faculty, senior administrator touchpoints that will propel me into further professional growth the next 15 years of my career in government service.” – Jason Suby, 2019 Graduate, Director of Assessment, Department of Physical Education, United States Military Academy
- The four-year online degree program is cohort-based and requires students to complete a total of 48 credit hours, including the dissertation.
- Professional learning communities support academic and professional growth throughout the program.
- Three required campus visits foster collaboration and community in cohorts.
“I was so excited when I found the doctoral program at UNCG! It has given me the flexibility to continue teaching and gaining experience while staying in my local community. The reputation and history of UNCG to actively prepare future faculty and academic leaders is what has impressed me the most.”
– Meaghan Howard, 2019 Graduate, Adjunct Faculty at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
“The Ed.D. in KIN gave me the tools to be a successful leader and educator in the hybrid/online world and provided me with experiential learning opportunities that directly benefited me in my current job.”
– David Wilkenfeld, 2018 Graduate, Assistant Professor of Athletic Training, Director of Clinical Education at Moravian College
- Our Ed.D. students are a diverse group of professionals working in a variety of positions: University faculty and administrators, public school teachers, coaches and athletic trainers, physical therapists, wellness directors, sports medicine directors/clinic owners, health promotion managers, and sport psychology consultants.
- An Ed.D. student was named as the 2021 University Teacher of the Year by the North Carolina Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (NC SHAPE).
Apply to Program
- Applicants must hold a master’s level degree and have a minimum of 3 years of professional experience in Kinesiology or related fields to be accepted into the program.
- Required application materials include:
- Graduate School Online Application
- Official Transcripts
- Recommendation Letters
- Ed.D. in Kinesiology Supplemental Application
- Professional Goal Statement
- Learn more about UNCG online degree applications here.
GRE scores are no longer required.
Want more information? Let’s get started!
Degree Type: Doctoral
College/School: School of Health and Human Sciences
Program Type: Majors & Concentrations
Class Type: Online