FULLY ONLINE PROGRAM AVAILABLE
The Peace and Conflict Studies (PCS) Programs takes a dynamic and interdisciplinary approach to the study of peace and the practice of conflict management, resolution, and transformation. Undergraduates in this field of study will gain an understanding of peace science and peace scholarship while actively engaged in their communities’ proactively transforming conflict.
The B.A. in PCS has two modes of delivery, online and on campus. The online Program uses asynchronous online instruction and can be completed 100% online.
- UNCG’s Peace & Conflict Studies bachelor of arts degree was ranked #2 in the Top Bachelors in Negotiation and Conflict Management by the Social Work Degree Guide in 2019.
- Program values include: fostering interdisciplinary collaboration; striving for positive peace; maintaining patience in the long-term philosophy of conflict transformation; building evidence-based skills in conflict management and resolution; engaging actively in the community; doggedly pursuing peace research and praxis; maintaining critical pedagogy and scholarship; empowering social and ecological sustainability; and honoring equity and justice.
The Student Experience
- Students gain perspective on the challenges facing individuals, families, organizations, communities, and social and political systems – locally and globally.
- Study abroad is encouraged, including to Germany (University of Konstanz), Northern Ireland/United Kingdom (University of Ulster), Sweden (Linnaeus University and Malmo University), South Africa (University of Stellenbosch), Australia (University of Western Sydney and Australian Catholic University), and Denmark (University of Copenhagen).
- Students are exposed to an array of techniques and strategies for nonviolent, constructive solutions to conflicts that arise in diverse personal, professional, organizational, and community environments.
- A practicum allows students to gain hands-on experience in peace and conflict practice.
- Students become well-versed in multiple conflict prevention and intervention skills; these include Mediation, negotiation, conflict transformation, violence intervention, and collaborative problem-solving.
Graduates of this program may work in positions or fields such as:
- Mediator, Conciliator, or Negotiator
- Restorative Justice Facilitator
- Peacebuilding Professional
- Educator, Trainer, or Dialogue Facilitator
- Community Building/Organizing
- Legal or Criminal Justice Reform
- Law Enforcement
- Medical/Health Care
- Businesses/Nonprofit Program Management
The Peace & Conflict Studies Online Program is a 14-week long semester using asynchronous online instruction that can be completed 100% online. Students in the online program develop skills to create peace that builds supportive communities – an interdisciplinary, critical, social justice approach to conflict theory, peace studies, research, and practice.
- Fully online
- Interdisciplinary program for those with 30+ transferable semester hours of college credit
- High-quality, professional training in conflict transformation, resolution, and management
- Gain hands-on experience in engaged research or entry-level practice with required practicum
- Degree is in high demand in business, health, education, and nonprofit settings
Want more information? Let’s get started!