In a matter of days, two of our sister institutions have tragically experienced acts of violence on their campuses. Given this, it is important that we proactively remind the University community of our safety guidelines.
We believe and practice the philosophy that campus safety is everyone’s responsibility. Make sure to:
- Download the Spartan Safe App to your phone through Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Sign up to receive Spartan Alert text messages. Friends and family can also sign up for Spartan Alerts. Click here for instructions.
- If you see something, say something. You can report a tip to UNCG Police right in the Spartan Safe App, on the police website, or by calling 336-334-4444. If you are concerned about another individual in our campus community, complete the Concerning Behavior Report.
- Enroll in “Run, Hide, Fight” training offered on campus at no cost. This is available for students, faculty, and staff.
- Be aware of classroom locks. UNCG has worked closely with our Facilities Staff to ensure that classrooms with an occupancy of less than 50 people are equipped with a thumb-turn indicator lock. If you are unable to leave the building, locked doors may be used to help protect occupants from an active threat. To support this effort, make yourself aware of the doors that have these locks and do not prop them open or prevent them from being secured quickly.
- Visit the Spartan Safe website for specific details on how you can prepare for an emergency. For instructors, a Classroom Emergency Preparedness Script is available to review and present to your class.
During an active assailant situation, follow our emergency procedures – especially “Run, Hide, Fight” – as we will put the campus under a shelter in place order in which you need to get to a secure location immediately. Do not leave the secure area until you receive a notification of “all clear” through our communications channels. For more details on what to expect and what you can do to protect yourself during an active assailant situation and other emergencies, please visit the section on the Spartan Safe website.
Our police officers and the many University units involved in emergency operations regularly review and practice our crisis plans. In conjunction with the Office of Emergency Management, the police department has established active assailant response plans. These include partnerships with area law enforcement agencies, and activation of the Joint Information System and Emergency Operations Center. UNCG Police is committed to keeping our campus community safe and appreciates your partnership in this effort.
Finally, many of us have family, friends, and colleagues at sister institutions impacted by recent acts of violence. Students who wish to talk with someone are encouraged to contact Counseling and Psychological Services by calling 336-334-5874 or visiting their website. For faculty and staff, counseling support is available through the Employee Assistance Program with ComPsych at 1-800-630-4847, and through Ginger, a mobile app that provides on-demand, confidential mental healthcare.
Chief Eric Boyce