The human biology B.S. concentration at UNC Greensboro is for students who want to gain a deep understanding of human anatomy and physiology to prepare for a variety of health careers.
A hallmark of this degree program is the opportunity to participate in stimulating undergraduate field and laboratory research with award-winning faculty.
A student pursuing the B.S. in biology is expected to develop a stronger background in mathematics and related sciences and to attain a greater understanding of biology than will a student pursuing the bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree.
- Students following the human biology concentration take many classes in UNCG’s new Nursing and Instructional Building, a facility with state-of-the-art equipment, optimized instructional spaces, and collaborative gathering spots to connect with students in other health disciplines.
- Students have the opportunity to work with internationally recognized faculty as they conduct research on topics ranging from cell motility, cancer, obesity, the flu, and more.
- Biology faculty consistently receive university-wide teaching and mentorship awards.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- Students are empowered to engage in undergraduate research projects – in the field and the lab – with award-winning, research-driven faculty.
- A variety of upper-level course content is offered, including virology, neurobiology, evolution, the environment, microbiology, and cancer.
- Collaboration with other departments – such as nutrition, chemistry and biochemistry, mathematics, physics, and geography – expands educational opportunities across disciplines.
- Students can pursue concentrations in human biology, biotechnology, and environmental biology.
- Students following this concentration path are well prepared for careers in health care, including medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy.
- Graduates have extended their study at Duke University, Wake Forest University, North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, and other University of North Carolina system schools.
- Potential career paths include:
- Research Scientist
Get more information
Want more information? Let’s get started!