The post-baccalaureate certificate in climate justice at UNC Greensboro is for those students who are interested in strengthening their knowledge and credentials around issues of sustainability and activism. This is an interdisciplinary program that considers forms of power, privilege, and oppression alongside the technical understanding of global heating and the climate crisis.
The aims of the certificate are to empower students with knowledge about this social-ecological nexus and to equip them with the skills to analyze dominant value systems for work in an array of emerging climate careers.
This certificate is also a direct pathway into the M.S. in sustainability and environment program, as all courses count toward the M.S. degree and the graduate school.
- UNCG is ranked as one of the nation’s most environmentally responsible colleges, according to the Princeton Review (2020).
- Students have access to modern geographic technology, including an oversized cartographic plotter, GPS equipment, and computers with industry-standard software programs like Arc/Info, ArcView, ERDAS Imagine, ArcGIS, Surfer, AtlasGIS, MapInfo, and ER Mapper.
- State-of-the-art laboratories – like the Geomorphology and Weather and Climate Lab, and the Regolith Analysis Laboratory – offer in-depth geographic analysis using the latest precision instruments.
- The program’s accreditations and affiliations include:
- Association for Environmental Studies & Sciences
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- National Council for Science and the Environment
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- This certificate can be completed 100 percent online and on the student’s own schedule, but with options for in-person work if desired.
- Students take classes from the Department of Geography, Environment, and Sustainability and from the Department of Peace and Conflict Studies.
- Students may choose from courses such as:
- Advanced Weather and Climate-Synoptic Climatology
- Skills and Techniques of Conflict Management
- Sustainable Regional Planning
- Peace and Justice in a Changing Climate
Graduates are prepared for careers such as:
- Nonprofit mangement
- Urban Planning
- Energy Efficiency
Want more information? Let’s get started!