Post-Baccalaureate Alternative Initial Teacher Licensure (PAIL)



Learn More

The post-baccalaureate Alternative Initial Teacher Licensure (PAIL) program is designed to provide the opportunity for initial teacher licensure in Special Education: General Curriculum to individuals who have an undergraduate degree in a field other than special education. In PAIL, you will complete foundation courses in assessment in special education, instructional practices for students with mild to moderate disabilities, learning theory, and models of teaching. Specialty area courses in instructional practices for students with mild to moderate disabilities provide an introduction to the field, methods for teaching in the field, programming for the field, and clinical field experience. Throughout the course work, you have numerous opportunities to use cases and problem-based learning that include appropriate implementation of inclusive practices.

Program Distinctions

The UNC Greensboro School of Education was named one of the 2022 “Top Graduate Schools of Education” by the U.S. News & World Report.

The Student Experience

  • Graduate students in the School of Education benefit from hands-on learning that is woven throughout our programs and co-curricular opportunities.
  • Courses are 100% online and include synchronous and asynchronous formats.
  • Students who complete the online PAIL program may apply for the M.Ed. in Special Education program, which is an advanced licensure program.

After Graduation

Example careers include Special Education Teacher, Inclusion Specialist, and Resource Teacher.


Currently, UNC Greensboro is authorized to offer online education in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Find out more about State Authorization — a law that regulates in which states colleges and universities can offer education.UNC Greensboro does not guarantee that programs which fulfill North Carolina licensure requirements will satisfy the criteria of professional licensure boards in other states or territories. For further explanation, visit Professional Licensure.

Want more information? Let’s get started!