The Online Bachelor of Science in Public Health with a concentration in Health Studies provides students with a strong public health foundation and enhances their ability to promote health equity by teaching them to think critically about the root causes of health problems and analyze solutions using an intersectional perspective.
The program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Public Health, Health Studies Online concentration, is designed to prepare individuals for positions in health-related fields and provide a base for graduate study. The Health Studies Online concentration will allow time and location bound students to complete an undergraduate degree without relocating to the UNC Greensboro campus.
Our graduates, like other graduates in general education programs, are competitive in the job market for careers in administration, education, health sciences, human relations, public service, and in other governmental, community-based and/or nonprofit settings.
The Health Studies Online concentration is an online option available for students looking for a non-professional degree to complement their current professional or career experiences. Students requesting admission to the Health Studies Online concentration may apply to the major only after earning a prior degree (A.A., A.S., B.A., B.S., or equivalent; an A.A.S. is not an equivalent option) from an accredited college or university and completion of courses that satisfy General Education requirements.
- The Department of Public Health Education (PHE) is a community of scholars, educators, researchers, and learners who are focused on promoting health within communities and on changing lives.
- The program is ranked #7 for Most Affordable Online Public Health Degrees by the Online U (2020).
- The program is ranked #13 for Best Online Bachelor’s in Public Health by College Consensus (2020).
- The Department of Public Health Education houses the Institute to Promote Athlete Health & Wellness, supported by the National Football League and the NCAA Sport Science Institute.
- UNCG’s Health Coaching Program is under the Department of Public Health Education.
The Student Experience
- Students can join Public Health clubs and organizations, including the honor society local chapter of Eta Sigma Gamma, the North Carolina Society for Public Health Education, N.C. Chapter of the American Association for Health Education, the American Public Health Association, and the Health Occupations Student Association.
- Online students can take advantage of resources available through UNCG such as virtual appointments with the Career & Professional Development Center, The Writing Center, and University Speaking Center.
Graduates enter careers in administration, education, health sciences, human relations, and public service, and have attended graduate programs at Yale, The Bloomberg School of Health at Johns Hopkins University, UNC Chapel Hill, Indiana University Bloomington, and UNCG.
Apply to Program
The department seeks high achieving and motivated students that have a prior degree (A.A., A.S., B.A., or B.S.), minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5, and completion of Public Health related courses that include:
- 1 Anatomy and Physiology Course – HEA 213 (or approved equivalent)
- 1 English Course – ENG 101 Composition l
- 1 Intro to Computing Course – ISM 110 Business Computing
- 1 Communications Course – CST 105 Public Speaking or CST 341 Workplace Communications
- 1 Math Course – MAT 115 or STA 108; Must be College Algebra or higher
- 1 Socio-behavioral Course – SOC 101 Intro to Sociology or PSY 121 Intro to Psychology
All transfer courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
The Health Studies Online Program begins in the fall semester of a student’s junior year and follows a course sequence that will allow a full-time student to graduate in 2 years. The Health Studies Online Program also offers a part-time course sequence to meet the needs of students who require more time to complete the degree.
Want more information? Let’s get started!
Degree Type: Bachelor's
College/School: School of Health and Human Sciences
Program Type: Majors & Concentrations
Class Type: Online