Susan L. Andreatta
- Environmental Anthropology
- Food and Agriculture Systems
- Medical Anthropology
- Applied Anthropology
- ATY 213: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- ATY 333: Latin American Societies and Cultures
- ATY 362: Methods in Cultural Anthropology
- ATY 450: Anthropology in the Environment: Culture, Environment and Adaptation
- ATY 465: An Overview of Medical Anthropology
- ATY 524: Applied Anthropology
- ATY 526: Anthropological Perspectives on Food and Agriculture
As an applied sociocultural anthropologist, I am interested in environmental and medical anthropology. I have worked in the Caribbean, Latin America, Southeastern States, Uganda and China. My fieldwork experiences enable me to work with farmers, fishermen, immigrant agricultural laborers, and health care providers. Since arriving at UNCG in 1996 I have been involved in community engaged research. In 2001 I established Project Green Leaf, a University supported program where we have been involved in a number of outreach research projects working with farmers, farmers markets, Community Supported Agriculture arrangements, migrant workers and urban connections to locally grown produce. This work has expanded to working with NC marine fisheries researchers and small-scale fishermen in Carteret County where we developed the first Community Supported Fisheries arrangement, a project that has caught on nationally and internationally. In addition, I co-direct UNCG’s campus gardens where we have 50 raised plant beds for faculty, staff and student use.
- Ferraro, Gary and Andreatta, Susan. Cultural Anthropology: An Applied Perspective. 10th edition. Belmont, California. Cengage Publishers. Forthcoming.
- Andreatta, Susan and Gary Ferraro. 2012 Elements of Culture from an Applied Perspective. 1st edition. Belmont, California. Cengage Publishers.
- Andreatta, Susan. 2011 A Brief Report on the State of U.S. Agriculture and Fisheries. Journal of Cultural, Agriculture, Food and Environment. (CAFE). 33(2):107-116. (view PDF)
- Andreatta, Susan, Nash, Barry and Martin, Gretchen B. 2011 Carteret Catch™: Promoting Local Seafood through Community and Business Partnerships. Human Organization. 70(3):279-288. (view PDF)
- Hu, J., Andreatta, S., Yu, L. & Li, S. 2010 A collaborative international community health nursing clinical experience in China. Home Health Care Management & Practice. 27(7):499-506. (view PDF)
- Andreatta, Susan and Anne Parlier. 2010 “The Political Ecology of Small-Scale Commercial Fishermen in Carteret County, North Carolina.” Human Organization. 69(2):180-191. (view PDF)
- Andreatta, Susan, Misty Rhyne, Nicole Dery. 2008 “Lessons Learned from Advocating CSAs for Low-Income and Food Insecure Households. Southern Rural Sociology. 23(1):1-33. (view PDF)
I maintain two research foci - domestic and international - that focus on the agriculture and food production system among farmers in the southeastern US and in Moquegua located in the Andean region of southern Peru. These projects are guided by political ecology, and examine environmental resource use and access vis-à-vis a multi-scale approach linking local, national and global processes for change and resistance.