UNCG Global Leadership Skills Program
INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
The UNCG Disney International College Program is a unique study abroad program that enables you to work (i.e., undertake an Academic Training Program) while in the U.S. As it is first and foremost an academic program, UNCG serves as your visa sponsor, and you are required to complete course work while you are at Disney in order to maintain your visa status. The staff in the International Programs Center (IPC), serve as coordinators for the UNCG Disney International College Program and are your first points of contact in the admissions process. The following information is intended for those students who have been accepted both by Disney and UNCG. Information for students who wish to apply for this program is available at: http://www.uncg.edu/ipg/ipcdicp/informationforprospectivestudents.html
The following information is accurate as of the time of its writing; however, it is subject to change without notice. IPC will make every effort to communicate any program changes. For more general information about UNCG and Greensboro, NC, please visit our Web Page at: http://www.uncg.edu
1. Contact Information: Catherine Holderness
UNCG IPC Disney College Program
The International Programs Center (IPC)
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
127 McIver Street
Post Office Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Dr. Catherine Holderness
Faculty Director & Academic Advisor
UNCG Disney International College Program
Office: 304 McIver Building UNCG
2. Accepting/ Responding to your Disney Offer: Disney will send you instructions for next steps.
3. When should you arrive? Disney provides exact information about arrival date. Be sure to read all information received from Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. and provide any information that is requested. Instructions to notify Disney about arrival will be sent in a packet once you accept Disney’s offer and pay your accommodation deposit.15. Visa Documents: UNCG serves as the Visa Sponsor for this program, and is responsible for providing information for maintaining status. You will receive your DS-2019 in your UNCG acceptance packet.
4. Getting to Orlando, Florida: You can fly into the Orlando Airport: Orlando International Airport (MCO), Orlando, Florida.
All UNCG Disney International College Program students should notify Disney of your flight information. Each student will receive a $5 off coupon towards the Mears shuttle service in your acceptance packet from Disney. Follow Disney’s directions to take the Mears Shuttle Service to the Vista Way apartment complex where you will be met by the Disney Arrivals Team. If you arrive on your own earlier than your scheduled arrival date, you will have to make arrangements to get from the airport to the hotel where you will be staying.
5. Orientation Program: The Orientation for UNCG Disney International College Students takes place beginning the day after arrival. Please try to arrive no later than the arrival day in Orlando. Should you have any difficulties notify Disney staff per instructions in your Disney packet.
You will participate in Orientation Activities which will include Disney traditions (training), a trip to Social Security office, housing information session and meetings with UNCG staff regarding visa compliance and the academic component of the program.
6. Housing during the Direct to Disney Program: UNCG Disney International College Students will have the opportunity to meet and live with people from all over the country, as well as the world within Disney’s housing complexes. One- to four-bedroom apartments with 2 people to a room are available, and housing costs are determined when participants check in on their arrival day. All apartment assignments are based on availability. In assigning apartments, participants will be separated by gender and age (over or under the age of 21).
For a complete list of amenities provided and to see sample rooms please click on the following link.
Are cooking facilities provided? Yes, all apartments include kitchen appliances, utensils, and dishes.
Are bed linens and blankets provided? No. Participants must provide their own linens (bed sheets, pillow, bath towels and washcloths). Disney will provide transportation to Walmart where these items can be purchased at reasonable prices.
Are laundry facilities available? Yes
Is transportation provided to work and supermarkets? Yes. Transportation to and from the work location and housing is provided as part of the program. Shuttles also are available to take participants to nearby supermarkets, shopping facilities, restaurants, shopping malls and the post office.
Please be aware: single rooms are not available.
8. Estimated Housing Costs
Housing Cost Estimate (this includes all amenities.): $82 to $108 USD per week, depending on the size of the apartment and the amenities offered at the complex.
These rates are based on the number of bedrooms and varying amenities among the complexes. They do not include any applicable taxes. Participants will also be responsible for a one-time approximately $100.00 (PAID to Disney) Program Assessment and Activities Fee. The non-refundable fee helps support the events and activities scheduled in the housing complexes throughout the program. Be sure to follow the instructions given by Disney.
Please be aware: Housing costs are automatically deducted weekly from Cast Members' paychecks.
9. Meals: The apartments are furnished with a full-size kitchen with a stove, microwave and a fridge. Some utensils are provided for the students to be able to cook. There are "cast member cafeterias" at each theme park and water park where students can purchase meals at lower prices than what guests pay in the parks. Most students bring a bag lunch with them or (depending on shift) wait until they get home to eat.
Cast members do get discounts at restaurants on property, but they cannot take their lunch break and eat at one of the restaurants while they are in costume.
10. Estimated personal expenses: You should budget a minimum of $150-$300 per month for miscellaneous costs such as local travel, entertainment, supplies, etc. You will also be expected to purchase UNCG’s mandatory insurance policy and you will be expected to pay in full two weeks prior to arrival. (See below under # 11.)
11. Insurance: U.S. Government regulations require you to have sufficient medical insurance coverage to participate on an exchange to the United States. Accordingly, insurance coverage through a UNCG-approved plan is mandatory. For more information: click here.
The insurance cost is determined by the length of the program and is between$350- $500 (Subject to Change). The full insurance cost must be paid in full along with your payment of the balance of your program fee.
Please note: The only exception to this mandatory UNCG Insurance is if you have a documented preexisting illness. Please contact UNCG regarding any documented, pre-existing condition prior to the insurance payment deadline.
12. Medical Requirement/Health Services: As a UNCG Disney International College Student, you are not required to fill out any “Student Medical Forms”. The state of Florida does not require specific immunizations. However, it is always a good idea to bring copies of vaccination records and have a check up before leaving your country. Information about health services and clinics will be provided by Disney.
13. Transportation: Transportation service is available to Cast Members who live at one of Disney’s apartment complexes (i.e., Vista Way, The Commons, Patterson Court and Chatham Square). The primary purpose of the transportation system is to provide Cast Members who live in Disney apartment complexes with a shuttle to their work location on a scheduled route. Shuttles to local merchants for groceries and sundries also are provided.
14. Employment: As academic training is an essential component of this program, students are granted Academic Training authorization which allows them to work at Disney World Theme Parks and Resorts while studying. UNCG Staff will provide letters and documents necessary for authorization to work at orientation.
UNCG Global Leadership Skills Program for Intl. Students