header_nav Search UNCG UNCG Index Contact UNCG Events Calendar Campus Directory URO Home UNCG Home URO Home

Return to 2000-2001 UGB Index
Withdrawal from the University

Undergraduate students
contact Student Academic Services
159 Mossman Building

Graduate students
contact The Graduate School Office
241 Mossman Building

Students who find that they must withdraw from the University can do so by dropping all courses through uncGenie, either by voice response (telephone) or via the Web site. Undergraduates who drop all courses are considered to be withdrawn from the University and must seek reactivation or readmission through Undergraduate Admissions to return to school in subsequent terms.

Students withdrawing on or before the last day to drop without academic penalty will receive W grades (withdrawal without academic penalty). Thereafter, WF grades will be recorded. WF grades are calculated in the student's GPA as F (failing) grades.

Students who have questions regarding withdrawing from the University should contact Student Academic Services, 159 Mossman Building, 336/334-5730. Inquiries regarding returning to the University should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office, 336/334-5243.

Withdrawal/Refund Policy for Students Called to Active Duty
During Term (Military Call-up Policy)

(pending approval of Chancellor's Executive Staff)

Students who serve in the Armed Services Reserve or the National Guard are often alerted that they may be called to active duty for various reasons. If a student is involuntarily called for active military duty during a term in which s/he is enrolled, the eligible student may elect one of the following options:

A. Completely withdraw from the University (Guidelines for accomplishing a withdrawal are spelled out below); or

B. Eligible students who are required to report for military duty not earlier than four calendar weeks prior to the date a semester ends as stated in the official catalog of the University, or after completion of at least 75% of the enrollment period in a non-standard semester students called to active duty may, when authorized by the instructor, take their final exam early and be given full credit for all courses for which they have an average of "C" or better. Students are not eligible for refunds for courses for which they receive credit; or

C. Take an incomplete in a course and complete it upon release from active duty. Course completion may be accomplished by independent study or by retaking the course without payment of tuition and fees. Under federal financial aid policies, a course that is retaken this way may not be counted toward a student's enrollment load. Eligible students who receive an incomplete for any course for which they are enrolled shall not be entitled to any refund of tuition or fees paid.

Option #A - Withdrawal from the University Without Penalty
In order to qualify for this option, a student must elect to fully withdraw from the University. Under this option:

  1. Tuition and general fees will be fully refundable.
  2. Health fees generally will be fully refundable except for students who have used the University's health services. These students would be billed at the fee for service rate to a maximum charge equivalent to the health fee. Students who have enrolled in the Student Health Insurance program should contact the Agent for information on a pro-rated refund of premium.
  3. Room and board will be refunded based on the number of weeks the room was occupied and the meals consumed.
  4. The student will be responsible for any miscellaneous charges such as library fines, parking tickets, health service charges, etc.
  5. In order to be eligible for a refund under these guidelines, the student must withdraw from the University by completing the Academic Policy Petition and providing a copy of his or her call-up papers with the petition. Undergraduate students may obtain the Petition in Student Academic Services; refunds must be applied for in the Cashier's and Student Accounts Office. Graduate Students must obtain the Petition from the Graduate School and apply for refunds in the Cashier's and Student Accounts Office. The respective office will be responsible for asking students to provide the correspondence notifying them to report for active duty. These "orders" will serve as documentation for the refund of tuition and fees.
  6. In order to receive a refund from the Department of Residence Life, the student must complete the usual residence hall check out procedure. Again, the student will be asked to provide the correspondence notifying them to report for active duty. This will serve as documentation for the refund of room and board charges. Students must also apply for these refunds through the Cashier's and Student Accounts Office.
  7. If a student is called for active duty and subsequently released in a manner that would allow them to re-enroll during the semester in which they withdraw, the University will make every effort to accommodate the request. Individual contacts with faculty involved will determine appropriateness of returning to a course.
  8. If a student is receiving financial aid during the term in which s/he is called to active duty, financial aid must be repaid according to federal and state guidelines before a refund will be issued by the University.
  9. Students who are called to active duty during a semester, and who withdraw from the University, are technically ineligible to early register for the term in which they wish to re-enroll. However, UNCG will make every effort to give these students special dispensation and work with them in order for them to pre-register for that term.

Contact: University Registrar's Office
Registrar, UNCG, PO Box 26170, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 (336) 334-5946

URO Home